Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fantasy football, and the death of my social life

I will start out by saying that neither article was as awesome as I had thought it was going to be, but that's neither here, nor there, nor anywhere.

In the article written by John Fortunato, I saw a lot of fancy words, math, and numbers. This could only mean one of two things... Either Sabre Metrics, or fantasy sports! I never played fantasy sports until this year, and boy has it taken a toll. But in a good way, I guess. Before Fantasy football, I used to just watch football and root for the greatest franchise ever, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Now, I get to watch them, AND root for individual players, so I can crush my loser friends' teams. The Nadal Wedgie Express has beaten many teams this year, and as Fortunato suggests, it has increased my viewership.

Last year I never would have cared how many yards Arian Foster or CJ2K had, now, I'm all over it. It really is a cool experience to sit down and feel like an All-Star team manager, unless you suck at it and end up in the basement. I think Fortunato's idea of the networks choosing their schedule based on fantasy players is a good idea. The only problem would be the lack of Buccaneers on tv.

The second article, I wasn't really sure what the study was supposed to prove. It seems pretty obvious to me, unless I'm completely wrong (which the author points out I'm not), that when you participate in fantasy leagues, you consume and participate more in social networking and sports news consumption.

I will say, after reading Foltzy's blog post, I am quite pleased with his picks. He knows what he is talking about, as he's 4-2 on the semester. And 1-0 when he picks the Bucs. Keep on keepin on.

-Ean Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment