Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Noaln Ryan Iatesta

     I really don't like this article. First off the author continually spells Rickey Henderson's name wrong. It's Rickey not Rickie. How can you  not spell an all time great baseball player's name right? It also bothers me how sexist this entire article is. That to be masculine you must domineer over women and children. That's BS. When I read something like that I think of a sexist, abusive, asshole. That isn't something to look up to. He also talks about Ruth Ryan and how she failed at life basically. He made her out to be some weak worthless woman but it's ok because you have All-American masculine hero Nolan Ryan as your husband. I realize this was written probably 20 years or so ago and values change but still it disgusts me.

    I would also like to point out how romanticized Ryan is. He was dominate yes, but he isn't an all time great pitcher if that makes sense. He's not on the same level as say a Steve Carlton, Bob Gibson, or Sandy Koufax. Granted I never saw him pitch but I know what my father has said about him since he's been following baseball closely since about 1960. That's not to say he wasn't a great pitcher but what makes him the face of masculinity? Because he could throw hard? What about Steve Carlton's 1972 season where he won 27 of the Phillies 59 wins with a 1.97 ERA. To me that shows just enough about masculinity and dominance as this piece about Ryan without the inherent misogyny.

No comments:

Post a Comment