Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cranney post

I really liked the opening of the Kindred article. I know from my own Twitter feed, where I follow multiple Phillies writers, that every game day, a few hours before the game, there will be four to five tweets that come in at once from different writers announcing the day's lineup. It's a minor, but necessary part of the job, and thus is the life of a beat writer.

I remember from my own experience covering the Phillies for the Philadelphia Baseball Review that on any day I was responsible for covering the game, I would have to regurgitate the information reported by these multiple reporters, only adding to the multiplicity of Phillies' news. 
 
I can also relate to the second part of the Kindred article where the writer talks about writing nonstop on game day. When covering Temple football, I work nonstop from noon to 10 p.m. I live tweet the games, gather information, collect interviews and write stories. It's a non-stop grind, but I love it. 
I think one of the most interesting parts of sports journalism today is the fragmented reporting mentioned in article two. With an ongoing story, little bits of news break everyday on Twittee until the saga is over. I can relate this to a personal experience of mine when I was covering Temple's move to the Big East. 
 
I reported first that a meeting of Temple's athletics committee had been canceled and that once Temple got into the Big East, the conference would be covering the school's exit fees from the MAC and A-10. Two relatively small pieces of information in the grand scheme of things, but breaking those stories is one of the proudest moments of my sports journalism career so far. My tweets were retweeted and linked to by CBS Sports. I was able to contribute to the breaking news cycle because it was so fragmented.

No comments:

Post a Comment